Analytical skills or Analytical Thinking is an ability to collect, visualize and analyze information to see the bigger picture or trend behind facts and help you to find solutions to common problems and make decisions about what actions to be taken next. Analytical thinking and sharp decision skills can enhance your professional career, Business decision making, leadership, personal and social profile. Experts have described 7 ways to improve your analytical skills.
Do you know Warren Buffett considers Analytical skill an important skill to become successful?
Do you know Analytical skills are among the top five skills frequently sought by companies around the world?
So Everyone wants to make own analytical skills efficient, but remember building analytical thinking is not an easy task, it requires lots of mind control, continue effort and smart work. But if you make these steps in your daily practice, surly it will help you to improve analytical skills . You can test and challenge yourself to sharpen, strengthen and develop it over time.
Benefits of Analytical thinking
- Analytical skills make you marketable
- Acquiring these skills will help you shine in the eyes of people around you
- It enables you to get your job done more efficiently
- Analytical skills make you a better problem solver
- Empower you for the success of tomorrow
Following points will help you to improve your analytical skills
1. Keep Observing
Take a walk outside, observe people and things. Use as many of your senses by actively engaging your mind. Being observant will help you to be active and notice things which you generally forget or don’t see. It helps you to recollect things later.
For eg:- When you observe things; you can recollect what was the shape or size of the particular object.
All these are small things but sometimes it can help you in some way and will improve analytical skills.
2. Read Strategical Books
The key to improving your analytical thinking skill is to keep your mind active. Applying active reading strategy such as highlighting, asking questions, reading loudly can help you to stay engaged with your reading material.
3. Try to Find out ‘How’
Finding how things work can help you to have a better understanding of the process; which is vital in stimulating your analytical skills.
4. Finding Answer
Did you know that curiosity makes us smarter?
According to Neuroscientist Aracelli Carmago, “The more curious we are about a subject, the more it engages our cognitive functions, such as attention and memory.”
Which means asking more questions can help us to develop better problem-solving skills.
5. Play Brain Games
If you want to improve your analytical thinking skills; Play Sudoku, Puzzles, Chess, Crosswords or any other brain games.
6. Practice Your Problem Solving Skills
While finding a solution for a particular problem; Prepare 2-3 solutions then test and find the best and most logical solutions.
With Book club, you can discuss what you’ve observed or learned from reading a specific piece and you can also get to know a different take on the same piece.
With Debate clubs, your perspective and arguments will be constantly challenged by others which encourages the free exchange of ideas and knowledge that can actively develop your analytical skills.
Groups like these give you an opportunity to come together and discuss ideas and problems which is the best way to improve your analytical skill.
7. Enhance your knowledge base
One of the most important things in developing your analytical skills is creating a strong knowledge base for yourself. The more you learn, the more you will understand things better.
Tips to build a vast knowledge
- While reading; don’t stick to a particular genre, go for different subject or genre
- Subscribe to informational newspapers, magazines like National Geographic to learn more about the world around you.
- Attend lectures and academic talks and conferences.
- Surround yourself with people who are very different from yourself or come from different backgrounds or religion; especially those who have different ideas than you.
- Travel to different places and know about a different culture in depth.
- Search for connections between the animals, plants, weather patterns, nature, etc
- Look beyond the obvious.
Challenge yourself with these little things on a daily basis to develop and improve your analytical skills, keep your thinking sharp so that you can perform better in your private or professional life.